72 OFW REMAINS FLOWN HOME
The remains of 72 more overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) who perished in Saudi Arabia amid the COVID-19 pandemic will be flown home tomorrow Friday August 28, 2020.
A chartered flight of the Philippine Airlines will arrive at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport at around 9:40 a.m. carrying the bodies of 62 OFWs who died of COVID, and 10 others who perished from other causes.
Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said the bodies represent the fourth batch of dead OFWs covered by the repatriation program of the labor department through the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration and the Philippine Overseas Labor Offices in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
The first three batches involving the remains of 192 migrant workers were brought home by the government on separate occasions last month, Bello said.
During those occasions, grand ceremonies were held led by key officials of state agencies to welcome the dead OFWs in recognition of their heroism and valuable contribution to the national economy, he added.
“The same respect will be accorded to the arriving OFWs who lost their lives in the KSA in pursuit of a better future for their families and motherland,” Bello said.
The labor chief said top government officials will be on hand in welcoming home the bodies of the country’s modern day heroes on Friday.
“We are ready for their arrival,” Bello said. “We will continue to bring home our heroes whatever it takes,” he added.
Bello said of the 72 remains, 40 are from Al Khobar, 17 from Jeddah and 15 from Riyadh. This brings to 264 the total repatriated human remains of OFWs from Saudi Arabia.
An interagency committee composed of DOLE, OWWA, POEA, DFA, BOC, DOH, BOQ, BOI, AFP, MIAA, DOTR and PAL has made all these efforts a success.