AUSTRIAN MINISTER ADMITS ERRORS BEFORE VIENNA ATTACK
Austrian Interior Minister Karl Nehammer acknowledged that intelligence mistakes were made ahead of a deadly terrorist attack on the capital Vienna earlier this week, Albert Otti and Christoph Thanei reported for Deutsche Presse-Agentur (dpa).
Slovakia's intelligence service warned Austria back in July that Kujtim Fejzulai, the extremist who shot dead four people and injured 23 others during a Monday-night rampage in the city center, had tried to buy ammunition there, Nehammer confirmed. However, mistakes were then made in dealing with the tip-off, he said.
"Apparently something went wrong in the communication steps that followed," Nehammer told journalists and announced the government would launch an inquiry into the the matter.
The inquiry commission will also explore questions over why Fejzulai was released from prison early on probation last year. Fejzulai, an Austrian with North Macedonian roots, was sentenced to 22 months in prison after he had tried join Islamic State (IS) extremist fighters in Syria.