top of page

India Checks Maoist Rebel Offer to Freeze Armed Struggle, Start Peace Talks

  • Writer: By The Financial District
    By The Financial District
  • Sep 29
  • 2 min read

Maoist rebels in India have announced they are suspending their armed struggle and are ready for talks, they said in a statement, though authorities said they were still verifying its authenticity, Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported.


More than 12,000 rebels, soldiers, and civilians have been killed since a handful of villagers rose against their feudal landlords in 1967. (Photo: Tusharjnv Wikimedia Commons)
More than 12,000 rebels, soldiers, and civilians have been killed since a handful of villagers rose against their feudal landlords in 1967. (Photo: Tusharjnv Wikimedia Commons)
ree
ree

New Delhi has launched an all-out offensive to crush the decades-long conflict, vowing to wipe out the Maoist rebellion by March 2026, with recent fighting concentrated in the battleground state of Chhattisgarh.


The rebels have offered to engage in talks before — including in February, when they called for a ceasefire, an offer rejected by authorities.


In a statement issued to reporters — via intermediaries who have previously handled Maoist proclamations — the Communist Party of India (Maoist) said it would suspend its fight.


"We are ready to start dialogue," the letter read, adding that they had decided "to suspend armed struggle."


ree

At its peak in the mid-2000s, the movement counted 15,000 to 20,000 fighters and controlled nearly a third of India. The rebels rarely issue statements directly via email or messaging apps, fearing they will be tracked by security forces.


Chhattisgarh Deputy Chief Minister Vijay Sharma said authorities were still examining the statement, which was dated August 15.


"Only after the authenticity of the letter is verified will a decision be taken," Sharma told reporters.


The Maoist statement said the shift in position was due to the "changed world order and national situation, and because of the continuous appeals" from New Delhi.


ree

India is waging an intense campaign against the Naxalite rebellion, named after the village in the Himalayan foothills where the Maoist-inspired insurgency began nearly six decades ago.


More than 12,000 rebels, soldiers, and civilians have been killed since a handful of villagers rose against their feudal landlords in 1967. In the statement, rebel spokesman Abhay, who uses only one name, said the group was "committed" to peace initiatives.



ree
ree
ree





TFD (Facebook Profile) (1).png
TFD (Facebook Profile) (3).png

Register for News Alerts

  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram
  • X
  • YouTube

Thank you for Subscribing

The Financial District®  2023

bottom of page