Trump Declares Criticizing Him "Is No Longer Free Speech"
- By The Financial District

- Sep 22
- 2 min read
Updated: Sep 23
President Donald Trump on Friday reiterated his claim that critical TV coverage of him is “illegal,” rejecting criticisms that his administration is undermining the First Amendment and chilling free expression, Irie Sentner reported for Politico.

“When 97% of the stories are bad about a person, it’s no longer free speech,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office, citing no evidence for the figure.
He argued there was a mismatch between his 2024 election victory and how the media continues to cover him.
His comments came days after Disney indefinitely suspended late-night host Jimmy Kimmel following remarks about Charlie Kirk, the conservative activist and Trump ally who was shot and killed last week by a conservative Mormon reportedly aligned with rival far-right figure Nick Fuentes.
Federal Communications Commissioner Brendan Carr had hinted on a podcast that ABC, Kimmel’s network, could face regulatory action.
Carr later suggested ABC’s The View might also come under scrutiny, escalating concerns that the Trump administration is pressuring independent agencies to target media outlets.
Democrats, including Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, condemned the move and demanded Carr’s resignation.
Even some Republicans balked. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, speaking on a podcast Friday, called Carr’s stance “dangerous as hell” and “right out of Goodfellas.” Trump, however, defended Carr, calling him “incredible” and “a great American.”
“I think he’s a courageous person,” Trump said. “He doesn’t like to see the airwaves be used illegally and incorrectly.”
The Constitution — not the president — governs the airwaves, critics quickly pointed out.





![TFD [LOGO] (10).png](https://static.wixstatic.com/media/bea252_c1775b2fb69c4411abe5f0d27e15b130~mv2.png/v1/crop/x_150,y_143,w_1221,h_1193/fill/w_179,h_176,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_avif,quality_auto/TFD%20%5BLOGO%5D%20(10).png)









