EX-AIDE ATTACKS BORIS JOHNSON’S HANDLING OF COVID PANDEMIC
Updated: May 28, 2021
The former aide of British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has savagely attacked how the government handled the onset of the coronavirus pandemic in Britain, Isobel Frodsham reported for Deutsche Presse-Agentur (dpa).
Dominic Cummings was chief adviser to Johnson from July 2019 to November 2020, and gave him advice on how to handle the coronavirus outbreak when it struck Britain in March last year.
At times he was seen as the second most powerful man in the country after Johnson. He had been called to give evidence before parliament into how the government handled the outbreak and subsequent British lockdowns.
During his questioning, Cummings made a series of serious claims against the government, including that Johnson initially described the outbreak as "the new swine flu" and dismissed it as a "scare story," while also saying Health Secretary Matt Hancock should have been sacked for "lying to everybody in multiple occasions in meeting after meeting in the cabinet room and publicly."
He also claimed Johnson told cabinet members he was going to get England's chief medical officer to "inject him on live TV with coronavirus" to show people it was nothing to be concerned about.
Describing when the government tried to hold meetings initially over how to handle the outbreak last March, Cummings said: "We got completely derailed because the national security people came in and said '(former US President) Trump wants us to join the bombing campaign in the Middle East tonight and we need to start having meetings about that' ... so everything to do with (Johnson's cabinet meeting) on COVID that day was completely disrupted."
Britons were later told to start social distancing on March 16, 2020, and the four nations went into lockdown on March 23, 2020.