• The Financial District


The FDA is warning consumers that they’ve seen an uptick in hand sanitizer products that are dangerous, according to a report from KCRA 3 NEWS.

The products have ethyl alcohol or ethanol listed as an ingredient but test positive for methanol contamination.

Methanol is toxic when absorbed through the skin or ingested. It can be life-threatening if people ingest it.

The FDA said they have reports of both adults and children drinking the contaminated hand sanitizer, which led to blindness, hospitalization and even death.

People who have been exposed to hand sanitizer contaminated with methanol who are experiencing symptoms should get immediate treatment.

Some symptoms include vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death.

Young children pose a particular risk for methanol poisoning. There have also been reports of adults drinking this hand sanitizer as a substitute for alcohol.

Register for Newsletter

  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram
  • YouTube


@2020 by The Financial District