Shipping Firm Says Vessels Are Avoiding Trump's Preferred Strait of Hormuz Route
- By The Financial District

- Jul 20
- 1 min read
Business intelligence firm Kpler says shipping companies are increasingly avoiding the southern route through the Strait of Hormuz, near Oman's coast, citing growing security concerns, CBS News reported.

President Donald Trump has repeatedly urged vessels to use the southern passage despite Iran's threats to fire on ships approaching the area.
Kpler reported that 21 vessels transited the Strait of Hormuz, but all used the northern shipping lanes near Iran after Iranian authorities directed ships to coordinate with their military before Tehran declared the strait closed earlier in the week.
Despite the limited traffic, Kpler said the security environment had deteriorated further after three additional attacks off the coast of Oman were verified, bringing the total to 56 confirmed incidents and 17 seafarer deaths.
"The absence of Omani route transits highlights a growing loss of confidence in that corridor, while shipping continues to favor Iranian-approved routing," the company said.
Kpler added that although the Strait of Hormuz remains physically navigable, "the operating environment is becoming increasingly complex and unstable."
Iranian state television has maintained that the Strait of Hormuz remains closed to all vessels and reported that warning shots were fired at two ships.
![TFD [LOGO] (10).png](https://static.wixstatic.com/media/bea252_c1775b2fb69c4411abe5f0d27e15b130~mv2.png/v1/crop/x_150,y_143,w_1221,h_1193/fill/w_179,h_176,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01,enc_avif,quality_auto/TFD%20%5BLOGO%5D%20(10).png)









